Charles Read, 1820-1899 arrived in the area in 1847. In 1856, he founded Reads Landing which was incorporated in 1858. It was a booming town with fur traders, loggers and steamboats stopping.
The town boasted of 27 hotels, 21 saloons, 15 mercantiles, several warehouses and one church. This is where Charles Read and his wife, Sarah raised 12 children.
Over the years, he was a soldier, fur trader, county commissioner, justice of the peace, and postmaster.